Recipe Type: Appetizer
Natalie’s “invention is the mother of necessity” creation after a farm share pick up that had more turnips and rutabagas than she knew what to do with. The natural sweetness comes from the steamed rutabaga. Turnips or cauliflower can be substitutes, all are in the brassica family, but there’s nothin’ like a sweet rutabaga!
- 1 sm-med head rutabaga
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp 5-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- (Optional: 1 sliced carrot or parsnip)
- Cut rutabaga into 1 inch cubes
- Heat soy sauce and water until bubbly and toss rutabaga until coated
- Mix in 5-spice and black pepper
- Cover and cook on medium until tender, about 10-15 minutes (Add more water if needed)
- Serve hot as is or mashed, as a delicious side dish with turkey or ham or part of a vegetarian plate!