While I was getting my emissions inspection done, I learned that the proprietor was Lebanese and enjoyed Chinese food. He asked me how to make hot and sour soup and I asked him about good area restaurants for Middle Eastern food. We chatted 20 minutes about food from the seat of my car!Â That was a very productive visit!
Hot and Sour Soup Tips:
- Start with good broth – traditional is pork or beef, but can use vegetable broth
- Use Chinese black vinegar (or balsamic), but sparingly to avoid overdoing “sour”
- “Hot” is from white pepper (different warmth from black pepper)
- Similar to making egg drop soup, gently stir in beaten egg after soup has been thickened (corn starch or other)
- Woodear fungus, bamboo shoots (and blood tofu in Taiwan), scallions and dash of sesame oil in the bowl are traditional ingredients that make the soup special and hearty